Sunday, January 24, 2016

The things we hear in church...

    Not surprising to anyone, I love the Sunday Mass!  The older I get, the more I fall in love with the mass.  I think it is absolutely beautiful and inspiring.  The music, the readings and gospel, the homily and all the wonderful prayers makes my heart desire the Eucharist even more.  This week I found myself very inspired as the priest began the Eucharistic prayers.  I was taken by a small, insistent voice of a three year old boy on the other side of the aisle.
  "Mom, why he say body?  Why he say blood?  I heard him.  He said body and blood."
  I did not get to hear his mother's response, because we as adults, know to quietly whisper answers to our children during mass. (I have to admit, though, I would have liked to hear his mother's response.)  I would like to extend a word of thanks to his mother.  Thank you for bringing your children to mass.  Often I hear the comment that parents think their children are too young to get anything out of mass. This little boy was obviously listening and wanting to understand.
   I think God speaks to each of us throughout our lives at whatever stage we are experiencing.  What father would wait for his children to become a certain age before he spoke with them?  And even though a small child may not be sitting still, his mind is still taking in all the sights and sounds around him.  How many times are we amazed (or sometimes embarrassed) because our children heard and understood something we said?
  This week I thought we could spend sometime answering this little boy's question.  Why is it so important that we celebrate Jesus sacrificing His Body and Blood for us?  What would you have told this little boy?  And then when you have given this some thought,   I would like to suggest you turn to your mother ask her the same question. "Mary, can you help me to come to a deeper understanding of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross?"  Be ready to spend some quiet moments listening, learning and reflecting.  May the peace of Christ be with you this week.

-Susan