Tuesday, September 1, 2020

We Want Justice


  Last night I made a mistake. I was somewhere where I shouldn’t have been.  It was dark and confusing. It seemed like a good idea before it all happened.  For once I was in the inner circle. I was privy to hear the conversations that mattered. Last night was supposed to be the night to stop these injustices. This new movement had to be stopped. We were ready and so were are weapons.  
 We gathered late last night. My weapon was not as impressive as everyone else's. The whole group was worked up for this. This was going to be a night to remember.  And that’s when it happened. I started feeling uncomfortable.  I wondered, "Are we taking things too far?  Is this really what I want to be known for?"  I chose to ignore my conscience. These men know what they are doing.  I had listened to their arguments. They were very convincing, but yet, I had this nagging feeling. " Was there another side?  Do I know everything?"
 I pushed away my doubts and followed the group. We were ready for a confrontation. We wanted justice.  When we arrived,  our informer approached the enemy. I couldn’t hear what was being said. Then out of nowhere a sword swung in front of me catching the side of my head.  I reached my hand up in pain. My hand was covered in blood.  My ear was gone!
  The man we had come for walked straight up to me, bent down, and picked up my severed ear. He placed his hand on my head and my ear was miraculously reattached.  I stood there. I couldn’t comprehend what had just happened. How could this man be the enemy?
 Within minutes my group had a rope around him. We had successfully arrested him. We did it!  I couldn’t help wondering though...what did we do? As we walked back, I watched the others abuse this man.  "Is this what justice looks like?  This didn’t feel right. This man was not my enemy.  He had saved me.  He cared about me.  Why?  I am no one."
  New thoughts kept going around and around in my head.  "Love not hate. Love not hate." I could feel my panic raising with my thoughts.  What had I done?  My mind could no longer convince my feet to move, so I just stood still and silent as my group continued moving forward. When my group was out of sight, my legs buckled underneath me, and I fell to the ground weeping. In desperation I called out, "Lord, have mercy on me, your servant Malchus.  I have done something terrible." I realized I no longer wished for justice, instead, I begged for forgiveness.
(fictional story based off the Gospel of John)

-Susan