Monday, October 1, 2018

Who Is Your Hero?


  I wanted to share a special part of my weekend with you.  This weekend I was honored to attend the 6th Annual Dutton Farm Fashion Show.  Dutton Farm is an amazing place dedicated to helping adults with mental or physical impairments. They provide opportunities for the adults (affectionately termed "farmers") to learn new vocational and social skills.  It is a place where love has no boundaries and the hands and feet of Jesus are visibly evident.
  This year's theme centered around the "Celebration of Heroes".  Each "farmer" walked the runway dressed as their favorite hero.  Some of the costumes included super heroes like Spiderman, Wonder Woman, the Hulk, or a firefighter.  I couldn't have been more proud when my niece, Katie, walked down the runway.  She was dressed as Mary, the Mother of Jesus.  Tears filled my eyes as I cheered for her.  The world often overlooks what my niece so clearly understood.  She wanted to be like Mary.  She was probably the wisest person in the room.  With a smile on her face she walked down the runway evangelizing the room without saying a word!  My niece Katie is incredible!
  After the show, a woman came up to Katie and said she was so moved by her, that she wanted to give her something.  She handed Katie a necklace with a Mary on it.  She told Katie it was from Medjugorje!
  Afterwards, my sister told Katie, "You must have really touched her heart."  Katie smiled. 
  I thought about this later as I drove home.  Katie, in that moment, was just like Mary.  She was gently touching people's heart, reminding them that there is so much more to life than what the world deems important.  There is nothing more important than God's love. Katie gets it.  I hope the rest of us are wise enough to discover that as well.



-Susan

If you are interested in learning more about the wonderful things occurring at Dutton Farms please visit their website: duttonfarm.org