Friday, October 27, 2017

Vacationing With God #13- The Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception




   As I walked up the steps to the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington D.C., I could feel my  excitement growing.  I was so thrilled to be back again!  Thirteen years ago I had walked up these same steps with my parents and husband and had consecrated my heart and life to Jesus, through Mary.  At the time, I thought I was making a pilgrimage to this beautiful shrine as a sign of my love for Mary.  What I have since realized, is that this act was just the beginning of my pilgrimage with Mary.  A pilgrimage that has encountered challenges, pain, and suffering, as well as moments of joy, growth and love.  I asked Mary to dwell in my heart; day by day, little lesson by little lesson, she has been teaching me how to draw closer to the heart of Jesus.
  If you have a chance to visit the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, you will not be disappointed.  It is the largest shrine in the United States. There is a beautiful cathedral on the main floor and the basilica has over 80 little chapels as well.  You could spend hours visiting the many different chapels filled with artwork dedicated to Mary and her loving influences upon the world throughout history.  It would be difficult to leave this shrine without being touched by Mary's heart.  I think a visit to the basilica could best be summed up by two little prayers from St. Teresa of Calcutta, "Lend me your heart, dear Mother" and "Keep me in your most pure heart."

-Susan