Thursday, February 2, 2017

Mirror, Mirror on the Wall

 

  
  Sin.  It's out there. In fact, it's everywhere. And, it is so much easier to recognize when someone else is wearing it.  I guess that's because even when I take a good look at myself in a full length mirror, I can easily miss the blemishes on my back or the ones that get under my skin.  And to be perfectly honest, I am much happier pretending they don't exist.  But unfortunately, they do. Who am I trying to fool?  Do I really think I'm fooling God?  Am I really fooling myself? 
   I know this is a really unpopular subject (unless we are talking about someone else's sins), but I think it deserves our consideration.  Instead of asking, "Mirror, mirror on the wall who's the fairest one of all" maybe we could take a little time this week and ask, "Mirror, mirror on the wall show me my sins big and small."  After you have taken that very honest and difficult look at yourself, spend some quiet moments in prayer.  Ask God for His help.  No one loves you more than He, and no one rejoices more over a repentant sinner.  Sin is definitely out there, but so is the grace of God. God's grace can help us overcome future temptations.
   If you are not sure where to start,  I have found it helpful to begin with psalm 51:10
Create in me a clean heart, 
Oh my God, and renew a right spirit within me.  
Then take a deep breath in, slowly let it go, and let the healing begin.  Allow yourself to discover why God's grace is so amazing!

-Susan