Friday, February 24, 2017

Theology 101

  


  Alex walked down the path towards his new Theology 101 class.  This should be an easy class he thought to himself.  He had done his homework and checked out all the reviews on the professors. Professor Kathryn Pointe scored high on: respected, gives good feedback, participation matters, and clear grading criteria.  She was known as an easy grader and did not give a lot of homework.  That was exactly the kind of teacher Alex was looking for to get this required prerequisite class out of the way.  Alex found a seat towards the front and sat down.  As he glanced towards the front of the class, he noticed a sign:  Professor Pointe will be unable to teach this semester due to an unforeseen health issue.  An expert will be taking her place.
  "Oh that's just great," Alex thought to himself. "I was counting on this being an easy class.  I have too many important classes this semester to let this unnecessary one screw me up.  I hope this 'expert' realizes this class doesn't really mean much to most of us."  Alex turned around and began talking to some of the other students when the new teacher walked into the classroom.
 Suddenly a voice yelled out, "Oh, my God!  Are you serious?!"
 "Well I see we are off to a good start.  At least one of you recognized me.  Thanks Nick for the formal introduction, but you all can just call me Jesus.  And to answer your question, no I'm not always serious.  I like to think I have a good sense of humor as well," Jesus said with a smile.  "I am excited to be formally teaching you this semester.  Kathryn has had a little mishap, but she is in good hands and is receiving excellent care.  The two of us talk on a regular basis, so I will be able to give you updates as the weeks pass."
  "Generally I am not big on giving people 'grades'.  I tend to look at the bigger picture and the smaller details.  I prefer a good examination of conscience and heartfelt responses.  However, the university has asked that I comply with their issuing of 'grades' for completed assignments, and I have agreed."
  Just then a hand shot up.  "Just how hard is your grading scale?"
  "I feel I am pretty generous.  I'm not expecting perfection, but I do believe a lot can be learned when you are challenged. The semester will consist of one project--Be the best you can be by loving others.  We will meet in the classroom twice a week to discuss how love is essential to everything you do.  Attendance is not mandatory, it's your choice, but I feel if we spend more time together, you will begin to truly understand the meaning of love."
  Alex raised his hand. "How exactly are we going to be graded?  I really need to get a good grade to maintain my grade point average."
  "Alex, I know you are very 'goal oriented' and this may be a little difficult for you.  When setting goals, make sure you are looking at the big picture.  What is your ultimate goal in life?  Money, happiness, prestige, or eternal life?  You have to know what your big goal is before you start making all the smaller goals.  You know what I mean?  To answer your question, though, this is what you will be graded on this semester.  You will be graded on the number of times you forgive someone, the number of times you choose to say something kind instead or something cruel, the number of times you showed generosity to someone in need, and the number of times you broke down barriers that get in the way of extending mercy to all people.  You will be graded not on the love you receive, but on the love you give."
  Again, Alex raised his hand and asked, "How could you measure such a thing?"
  Jesus smiled and answered, "If the number is small, it will be quite easy.  However, I'm hoping the number is so great that I will be overwhelmed while counting.  So, who's ready to get started?"  

-Susan