Thursday, August 20, 2015

A Meditation Based On The Woman By The Well


  It was around noon when I headed for the well to draw up my daily supply of water.  It was really hot.  The  scorching sun left me wet with perspiration.  I wish I could gather my water early in the morning like all the other woman in the village-but no one wants to be seen with me.  They have all judged me and want nothing to do with me.  I have had five different husbands-they all divorced and left me.  Not one of them took the time to talk to me or to understand me.  They just tossed me aside.  And now I’m living with a man who won’t even marry me.  I’m a disgrace.
  I was filling my buckets when I saw a man with brown wavy hair approaching the well.  I didn’t recognize him.  I don’t think he lives here  in Samaria.  Oh, I think he is a Jew. Jews never talk to Samaritans, especially not woman. I decided to quickly leave before I was shunned once again.
  And then I heard him say, “Give me a drink.”
  I replied, “How is that you a Jew, ask a drink of me, a woman of Samaria?”
  The man responded, “If you knew who it was that was asking of you for a drink, you would thank God for this special blessing and in return I would give you living water.  Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty.  The water that I will give will become in them a spring of water gushing up to eternal life.”
  I was absolutely amazed.  “Sir give me this water, so that  may never be thirsty or have to come here to draw water.”
  After this we sat and talked.  He knew everything about me-my five husbands, the man I was with now, and all my sins. And yet He was still talking to me.  He was warm, friendly, and spoke about God with such authority.  I knew he must be a prophet.  I couldn’t help but wonder- could he be the Messiah, the one everyone is waiting for?!
  He said, “God is spirit and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.  After listening to him, I knew I was going to try harder to live my life in truth.  I somehow felt changed.  For the first time in a long time someone spoke to me as if I mattered.  
  Boldly I asked, “Are you the Messiah?”
  He said, “I am he.”
  Just then a group of men came towards us.  I could tell they were his disciples.  Instinctively, I lowered my head.  I was sure they would question why their teacher was talking to me.  But to my surprise, Jesus just smiled at me.  He was not ashamed or embarrassed to be with me.  I have never been treated with this kind of respect.
  “You must worship in spirit and truth.”  His words kept echoing through my mind and pulsating my heart.  “Spirit”- is that is what I was feeling inside of me?  I wanted to share this news with others.  I smiled at him and smiling back he said, “Yes, go.  I’ll wait here.”  It was as if he could read my thoughts.
  I ran back to my little village and told everyone about this man named Jesus.  And even though people usually ignored me, today they listened!  They all followed me back to the well and Jesus stayed with us for two days teaching us about God’s kingdom.  My whole life changed after that.  I have tried to live as Jesus instructed.  Others have changed, too, and people have begun to talk to me again.  It feels wonderful to have friends again.


  This is why I wanted to tell you my story.  It really hurts to be alone and without friends.  Reach out to those who are ridiculed.  We are all special in Jesus’ eyes and those living waters are inside of you, too.  Please join me as I build the Kingdom of God with one kind word after another.  Praise be to God!

-Susan