Tuesday, January 9, 2018

God Knows


  "Would you like try a free sample?" asked a friendly salesperson in the middle of the aisle.
  I didn't want to appear rude, so I smiled and said, "Oh, sure."  
  As I reached for the small sample package she was offering, the salesperson said, "Here sit down while I put it on you."  
  Suddenly I was regretting being nice.  I really didn't have time for this.  The salesperson began telling me all about the facial lotion she was selling.  It was going to take years off my face.  She guessed that I was probably so busy taking care of everyone else in the family, that I didn't spend enough time treating myself. She asked me how many children I had, and then she said something that really got my attention.  She said, "Honey, God knows you deserve this!"
  This line probably works for a lot of people, but I didn't hear anything else she had to say.  I started thinking... "I'm lucky God doesn't give me what I deserve....  I definitely don't want what I deserve.... I'm lucky God gives me His love and mercy instead.  God's mercy is the ointment of healing my soul longs for....  fountain of youth vs. a fountain of mercy..... I would gladly choose a fountain of mercy any day of the week..."
  I politely thanked the woman for her time.  I told her she definitely gave me something to think about.  As I smiled and walked away from her miracle lotion, I bet you could see the wrinkles on my face.  I walked away, however, filled with happiness.  It turns out that sales woman gave me a wonderful free gift after all. She allowed me the opportunity to remember just how blessed I was.  I am blessed that God doesn't give me what I deserve. He spoils me with He love instead.

-Susan