Friday, June 23, 2017

Truth


  Truth.  Some people try to cover it up.  Some people run from it.  Some people are scared to death of it.  How important is truth to you?
  As I was praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy this week, I found myself stuck in the conversation between Pilate and Jesus just before Pilate had Jesus scourged. 

  (John 18:37-38) So Pilate said to him, "Then your are a king?"  Jesus answered, "You say I am a king.  for this I was born and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth.  Everyone who belongs to the truth listens to my voice." Pilate said to him, "What is truth?"

  To Pilate, truth was arbitrary.  Jesus, however, states the reason He was born was for others to hear the truth.  What puzzles me is that Pilate really didn't care.  I kept thinking about this.  Would Pilate have cared about the truth if it was his life that was on the line?  And then I wondered, if at the moment of Pilate's death,  did the Truth became crystal clear to him?  
  Truth is not arbitrary, it is essential. Truth is the key to unlocking the door to eternity.  My mom gave me some very good advice when I was younger.  She told me to always carry my house key with me, because you never know when you might need it.

-Susan