Sunday, August 2, 2020

Answering the Question


  For some time I have been very intrigued with the conversation between Jesus and Pilate just before Jesus was scourged.  I often meditate on their conversation when praying the Rosary or the Chaplet of  Divine Mercy.  Today I just wanted to focus on the very first question Pilate asks Jesus, "...Are you the King of the Jews?" (John 18:33)
 "Jesus answered 'Do you say this on your own or have others told you about me?' (John 18:34).
  Pilate doesn't directly answer the question Jesus asks.  He instead sidesteps the question. "Pilate answered, 'I am not a Jew, am I?  Your own nation and chief priests handed you over to me.  What have you done?'" (John 18:35).
  I sometimes wonder how many times I have sidestepped the questions Jesus ask me?  I am often, like Pilate, preoccupied with my own problems.  (What has Jesus done for me?   Couldn't He just solve my problems?). Jesus isn't interested in the politics of the day or popular opinion, He is interested  in something so much more important.  He wants to know if He is my King?  Is He the King of my heart?  Are we there yet?  Do I want that as much as He does?   What is the Truth?

-Susan