Monday, August 19, 2019

The Tunic (Part 18)

(The Tunic is a fictional story based on the Passion of Jesus. The story began on post March 18, 2019.)

  Day after day, Livia had hoped Martha and Mary would visit again. Livia had so many new questions to ask them.  She wondered if she had offended them since they had not returned.  
She worried that perhaps Cato was right, and they had realized what he had done.  Remus even went to visit them at their house, but he said no one was there.
  In the evenings after Remus went to sleep, Livia and Cato continued their conversations about Jesus.  Cato would now come home and share any new stories or facts about Jesus. Unfortunately, though, Cato began having problems at work.  Some of the fellow soldiers began to accuse him of being too soft during his interrogations. Cato knew they were right, but he insisted it was part of his strategy to get more information.  Cato wished he could speak with Jesus' closest disciples, but they were still in hiding.
  Cato began feeling very anxious.  He knew that he was not going to be able to play both sides of the fence much longer.  He knew he could not answer to Pilate and Caesar and be a follower of Jesus. He could feel the conflicting stress rising within himself.  He was going to have to choose.
  Late one afternoon Cato came bursting into the door.  Livia was surprised he was home so early, but even more surprised with his uncontained excitement.  "Livia! Livia I was there when it happened!"
  "You were where when what happened?"
  "Livia the followers, the ones closest to him, they are no longer hiding!  I was patrolling the streets this morning because of the Jewish celebrations, when all of a sudden they all emerged and began preaching to the crowd!  The one named Peter spoke boldly about Jesus being the promised Messiah and how he had indeed rose from the dead! He was so compelling!  He said everyone should repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus.  He said those who are baptized in his name will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit and be forgiven of their sins!"
  "Cato, that sounds amazing!"
  "Livia you have no idea! I somehow understood everything he was saying!  Livia he was speaking in the language and dialect of the small town I grew up in!"
  "What?  What do you mean? He spoke just to you?"
  "No!  I was riding amidst the crowd when he came out and started speaking to everyone!  Livia everyone understood what he was saying!  Everyone heard him speak in their now native language!  Everyone was talking about it!  People from Judea, Egypt, Mesopotamia, Asia, and Rome all heard the message in their own language!  You should have heard Peter speak!  I felt so alive when he spoke!  I can't explain it!"  Without warning Cato picked Livia up in the air and swung her around with excitement!
  "Cato, what does this all mean?"
  "Livia I think you were right!  We are being called to be his followers.  I wasn't sure before, but now....now I know!"
  "Oh Cato!  How do we do this?!"
  "I'm not sure exactly.  I know we need to be baptized!"
  "Today?" Livia was as excited as Cato.
  "Ummm......probably not today.  But soon.  We have to be very careful." Cato suddenly seemed very serious as he looked into Livia's eyes.  "Livia our lives are about to completely change!  I think we are going to have to go into hiding for awhile."
  "Hiding?  Why?"
  "Livia, I'm going to have to leave the army.  I can't be a follower of Jesus in Caesar's army.  They would never allow it.  I'm going to have to leave and they won't like it.  They will probably send people to kill me."
  "Cato are you sure?"
  "Yes, no one gets to leave on their own."
  "What will we do?  Where would we go?  How will we survive?"
  "I don't have it figured out yet.  That's why I said we can't do it right away.   I... I have a some money...the money from the tunic.  That will last us for a little bit."
  Livia's excitement turned into fear.  "Cato I don't want to lose you."
  "You won't.  I'll try to figure it out.  But I have to get back to Jerusalem before I am missed.  I'm going to spend the next two nights at our place in Jerusalem. I don't want anyone to discover where you and Remus are staying.  I'm going to work on a plan, but I need to know you two will be safe."
  "Cato how will I know you are safe?"
  "Don't worry.  I am going to appear to be a loyal Roman soldier.  Only you know my secret.  Somehow I'm going to make this work. I have to go now.  I will be back in a few days."

(to be continued...)

-Susan