Tuesday, August 13, 2019

The Tunic (Part 17)

(The Tunic is a fictional story based on the Passion of Jesus. The story began on post March 18, 2019.)


  "Livia," began Cato, "let's start the evening over.  I would be very interested in hearing about the new neighbors you met today."

  Livia wasn't sure if she should say anything.
  "Please Livia, I would like to talk about this.  I have been thinking a lot about Jesus as well, lately."  Livia was surprised and completely taken off guard with that statement. "I have questioned a lot of people about him.  I have gathered many facts. I was shocked that Remus knew so much about Jesus.  He spoke with such enthusiasm.  He didn't seem to question any of the details.  I don't want him to be disappointed, if Jesus is in fact, just some delusional man who convinced people he knew the one true God.  I don't want you to be hurt with that news either. And......and I don't want any of us to be hurt if he really was God's son."
  Livia was shocked with Cato's words.  She carefully chose her response by asking Cato a question.  "Cato, can you share with me what you have learned about Jesus?"
  "Well I learned that he preached right out in the open.  He drew large crowds.  Besides the Jewish leaders, most people liked what he had to say.  They would sit for hours listening to him without growing bored. He supposedly healed a lot of people.  I have a whole list of ailments people no longer have. He seemed to have helped so many. There doesn't appear to be any obvious selfish motives about his preaching.  He didn't demand people to give him money. He didn't ask for special favors. He didn't encourage anyone to act out against Caesar or Pilate.  He would just ask people to stop sinning and to start taking care of each other."
  Livia began feeling more relaxed as Cato spoke.  "Yes!  That's what Mary and Martha said as well.  He spoke a great deal about love.  He spoke about how much God loves each person and we should imitate God and do the same.  Mary and Martha said just being near Jesus filled them with peace and joy!"
  "Do you really believe their brother was brought back from death?"
  "Yes, I do.  There were many people who witnessed this.  They had been surrounded by friends and family while they were mourning.  People had witnessed Lazarus being placed in the tomb. They saw him come out of the tomb as well.  Both Mary and Martha are very emotional when they described what happened.  It is a very joyful ending to an incredibly painful experience for them.  If only you heard them speak about Jesus yourself, you would be moved by their testimony!"
  "I think I would rather hear it from Lazarus."
  "Would you like me to arrange that?'' Livia asked with anticipation.
  "Livia, we need to be very careful.  There is a lot at stake here.  Do you really think anyone would accept me if they knew what I had done?"
  "Cato, I have thought about this as well. Mary and Martha told me how Jesus healed sinners.  He came for those who were lost.  His healing sinners angered the Pharisees many times, but he continued to do it.  Cato... do you think we are one of the sinners, one of the lost ones that needed healing?  I know the scars on my arms were healed, but I think something inside me has changed, too.  I am not the same person.  I don't know how to explain it, but I have this desire in me to draw closer to Jesus." Very quietly Livia added, " I never felt this way when I prayed to the Roman gods."
  Cato remained silent as he stared at his wife.  He tried to take in everything she was saying.  This conversation was making him uncomfortable.  He felt like his world was being tipped upside down and he wasn't sure if he would land on his feet.  After several long moments Cato replied.  "Livia, I need some time to think about all this. I don't know how. .  . I'm not sure. . . ." Cato let out a big sigh. He shook his head back and forth as if he was arguing with his own thoughts. "I don't know what to think.  I feel different, too, and it scares me."

(to be continued...)

Susan