Monday, May 13, 2019

The Tunic (part 9)

(The Tunic is a fictional story based on the Passion of Jesus. The story began on post March 18, 2019.)

 For what seemed to be a very long three minutes nobody spoke. Livia scanned the room hoping the water was still there, but it was gone as well. 
 Finally Cato spoke. “I came home and no one was here....where were you?”
  “Remus and I have been all over town. Walking, running through the streets and fields!  It has been the best day ever!”
 “Papa do you want to see how fast I can run?”
 “Yes!  Yes, I do, but please let me look at you first.”  Cato looked up and down at Remus’ legs.  They looked perfect. It was as if he had never been burned.  He took Livia’s arms in his hands and examined them.  No scars.  Cato couldn’t explain what he was seeing.  He shook his head back and forth.  “Please tell me how.  How did this happen?”
 Livia described as best she could what had occurred and how it felt. Cato just gave her a blank stare. If he had heard anyone else tell this story, he would not have believed them. It was crazy.  It made no sense.  
 “Cato it is a miracle!  Do you not believe me?”
 “Of course, I can see with my own eyes the miracle in front of me. But how could a dead man’s tunic heal you?”
 “You said he claimed to be the son of a god, right?  The women drawing water this morning were discussing all the miracles he had performed.  In my head, I wished he could have healed us--"
 “Livia I helped crucify that man!  Why would a god heal my family when I killed his son? I didn’t show any mercy. Why would he show mercy to me?  It doesn’t make sense. There must be another reason.”
 “I don’t care that it doesn’t make sense, Cato.  I know what happened. I felt something incredible as if I was being touched by a powerful source of love.  More powerful than anything I have ever felt.”
 “Papa, please believe.  It’s true!  I feel so happy!  Mama and I are going to find out all we can about him tomorrow. What was his name again?

 "Jesus."  Just saying his name made Livia smile.
 "Okay, tomorrow we will find out more about Jesus. But right now can we just go outside and I will show you how fast I can run!”  Remus was too excited to sit and talk anymore.
  Cato looked at his son's giant smile.  He thought he would never see Remus smile like that again. "Yes! We will all race and see who is the fastest!"
  

(To be continued....)

-Susan