Friday, April 6, 2018

Could He Be? (Part 12)

(This fictional story based on the gospel narratives began on blog post 3-5-18.)

 In the days and weeks to come, Gil continued to heal. His injuries had been significant, but he waited each day for Bartosz to bring him news about Jesus. 
  Bartosz and Nicodemus had been spending a lot of time together discussing the implications of Jesus rising from the dead. His resurrection changed everything. Nicodemus had spoken personally with Peter and John. They shared with Nicodemus how they had found the tomb empty and how Jesus had appeared to them in the upper room. 
  Bartosz was amazed to hear that Jesus’ first words were, “Peace be with you.” No anger, no punishment, no scorn or humiliation—just peace. Bartosz thought about this a great deal. How many times had he treated people harshly for breaking even the smallest infractions of the law. If Jesus truly is God’s Son, then God’s love was so much more than Bartosz had ever imagined. Bartosz began to wonder if he had ever really conveyed God’s infinite love to others. Bartosz could feel his faith being challenged in a way he had never imagined.
   One afternoon Bartosz saw Gil praying in his room.  Bartosz silently waited for him to finish.  “Gil I was wondering if we could talk?” Bartosz asked.
  “Of course,” said Gil.
  “Gil do you remember the first day you had heard Jesus preaching at the synagogue?”
  “Yes.”
  Bartosz hesitated for a minute searching for the right words.  “Gil you asked me that day if you thought Jesus could be the Holy One of God?” Gil nodded.  “Well it has taken me some time to discover what you seemed to grasp so easily.  And…well… I have been giving this a lot of thought lately. I have reconsidered my answer. Gil, I do believe He is the Holy One of God!”
  “Bartosz this is great news!” answered Gil.
  Bartosz smiled.  “Yes, this is good news.  I desire to learn more about Jesus.  I want to become one of his followers!  Will you help me?”
  “Nothing would make me happier!” Gil exclaimed.
  “Peter and John have begun baptizing people.  I know it will be difficult for you to walk there, but if you lean on me, perhaps we could both present ourselves to be baptized.”
  Gil’s face lit up. “Yes!  Let’s not wait another day.  Let’s go right now!”  Bartosz grabbed Gil's outstretched hand and pulled him up.  Together, leaning on each other's strength, they began their new lives as baptized Christians.

-Susan