Monday, November 6, 2017

Out of Control


  At our church we will be celebrating the sacrament of Confirmation this week.  I love the Confirmation mass!  The liturgy and the music poetically highlight the powerful love of the Holy Spirit.  It is so easy to be completely overwhelmed with joy during the celebration.
  A few days ago, I was creating a Confirmation bulletin board.for the mass.  As I carried my crafting supplies into church, my folder with the flames of the Holy Spirit kept falling open.  I bent down and quickly picked up the "Holy Spirit" and put it back in the folder.  A few minutes later, I accidentally spilled the folder again.  Initially, I was annoyed as I bent down and to pick everything up again.  "Seriously, Susan, what is your problem today?" I thought to myself.  Then I smiled as I realized, "You can't keep the Holy Spirit neatly contained, you have let the Spirit free."
  Confirmation isn't just a wonderful mass of special memories that we place in a scrapbook or picture frame.  Confirmation is the continuation of an incredible adventure with the Holy Spirit.  We would be all be wise to ask the Holy Spirit to direct each of our steps, and remember not to be "the one in-control" all the time.  Generously allow the Spirit to spill forth from you and follow His inspiration.

-Susan