A few weeks ago, I was walking my dog in the park. A young boy (maybe seven years old) approached me and asked, "What's that?"
I was surprised by the question as he pointed to my dog. "My dog," I answered.
He responded, "I think it’s a cat."
"No, he's a dog."
"No, I think it's a cat." Then he walked away to play on the swings. Of course, the only natural thing to do next was to shake my head and apologize to my dog, in case he felt offended.
Later, during prayer, this interaction interrupted my thoughts. I smiled as I recounted the story to God and said, "I was so confused that the boy would argue what was so obviously true." And that's when it hit me. How often does God have the same conversation with me? Through Jesus' teachings, God has clearly revealed the truths of the kingdom. But how often have I decided that a particular teaching was a little harsh and that what God really meant was ...
In today's world, we often prefer to offer our own interpretations to match our expectations rather than listen to God. Let's face it, life would be easier if we weren't Catholic. It would be easier to just be good people and do what we thought was right. But Jesus calls us to be more than just good people. We are called to be like Jesus. This means trusting His wisdom over our own.
I wondered how many times I called something right when it was wrong. I'm sure the number is quite high. What began as a silly conversation with a child suddenly became a candid conversation with God. Imagine how surprised I was to realize I was the child who called a dog a cat. But instead of running for the swings, I turned to the forgiving arms of my Father. Being Catholic isn't a walk in the park, but it is the path to salvation. Keep leading me, Lord; please keep me on the path.
-Susan

0 yorum:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.