Monday, March 16, 2020

Into the Desert: Week Three


  It is week three and you are ready to venture back into the desert.  You close your eyes and pray to the Holy Spirit, "Lead me into the desert."  You clear your thoughts and allow the Holy Spirit to speak to you again.  When you open your mind you are back in the desert but it seems to be bustling with activity. However, when you look individually at the people, they seem to be quickly moving in one direction only to circle back to where they once were. You feel Dominic's hand on your shoulder and you turn to smile at him.
  "There are so many people here today, but everyone seems to be going in circles.  Why?" you ask Dominic.
  "That is because they are lost," explains Dominic.
  "Why don't they ask each other for help?"
  "That's because they don't know they are lost. They look at each other and assume everything is okay.  Everyone is doing whatever everyone else is doing."
  You can't help but let out a sarcastic little laugh.  "Well that's stupid.  Why would they just follow along?  Aren't they trying to get somewhere?"
  "Of course they are. They are under the impression that as long as they are good at doing this, that should be good enough."
  "Well that doesn't make any sense.  They aren't going anywhere," you reply.
  "What would they need to do?"
  "They need to stop repeating their same steps.  They need to stop looking at what everyone else is doing and decide for themselves where they want to go if they want to make any progress."
  "I would agree.  What if I told you they all trying to get to heaven," revealed Dominic.
  Again you let a small laugh escape.  "How do they think that is going to happen?  They aren't going anywhere."
  "Are you sure you aren't just like them?"
  Dominic words cut right through you. "Oh my gosh, are you telling me I'm not making any progress towards heaven?"
  "No, I'm not saying that, but there was a time you were happy to just be good at going in circles."  You didn't want to admit it, but there were times when you just did the same old thing, said the same old prayers, went to weekly mass without giving it much thought, yet alone much of your heart.
  "Ok, your right.  Sometimes I don't always put a lot of thought into my spiritual life.  I kind of just do what everyone else is doing and think that it is good enough.  I can see now, that this is far from good enough.  I need to break my habits if I really want to get to heaven.  What should I do?"
  "That is a great question, but I can't give you the answer.  That is a question you should be asking God every day. You must desire the path He has for you more than the path which is comfortable.  I would be happy to bring you close to Him, but you would have to leave this circle," Dominic said with a smile.
  You nod and say, "Yes, I definitely want to move closer to the Lord. Help me step out of the comfort of my circle."
  Dominic smiles and hands you a torch. "Your heart must burn with desire for the Lord. Don't be lukewarm. Don't let others block His Light.  Be passionate about your faith." As you take the torch from Dominic you feel His flame in your soul.  It is an indescribable feeling.  "Come on, we are headed for the hill over there and then the mountain behind it. The journey will be long, but the Lord will be with us with every step. That will give you plenty of time to talk with Him."
 "But what about all of them?" 
 "Call out to them! Ask them to join us! Let them feel your love for God.  You would be surprised how many souls just one person could touch!  Be the voice crying out in the desert. Are you ready?"

-Susan