Monday, September 2, 2019

The Tunic (part 20)

(The Tunic is a fictional story based on the Passion of Jesus. The story began on post March 18, 2019.)


  Livia slowly told Mary and Martha everything.  She began with the day Jesus had been crucified and Cato's role as a Roman soldier.  Livia could physically see the pain in Mary and Martha's eyes when she told them Cato had won Jesus' tunic.  Jesus had been their close friend, perhaps this was too much for them to hear. Livia then told them how the tunic miraculously cured both Remus and herself.  She shared the details of their painful injuries from the awful fire and how Remus could barely walk.  She did her best to describe the powerful surge of heat which coursed through her body as she had been healed.  Remus explained in his own words what he had felt as well. Livia revealed her unquenchable thirst for Jesus ever since the healing. The woman sat very still as they tried to understand all that Livia was sharing.
  "I am no longer the same person." Livia explained.  "I want to be a follower of Jesus more than you can imagine, but I know my sins-our sins-may not allow us.  Cato, too, has changed.  He no longer wishes to be a Roman soldier.  In fact, he is making plans for us leave.  Cato will be killed if Pilate and the other's discover his desire to follow Jesus.  He comes home tonight and we may leave immediately." The silence felt alienating to Livia.  She wondered if she should have said anything at all. Feeling desperate she pleaded, "Please, I beg you to keep our secret. I would not have shared any of this with you, except when I heard everything that you have experienced, I want to live with faith like yours. I heard you say that Jesus came to save sinners. I want Jesus to save me. I want him to save Remus and Cato, too."
  "Livia, where will you go?" inquired Martha.
  "I don't know.  It will be up to Cato.  He will keep us safe."
  "You would risk your lives in order to follow Jesus?" questioned Mary.
  "Yes.  We are sinners, but we desire to change.  Cato heard Peter speak of being baptized.  His fiery words touched Cato's heart deeply.  We all wish to be baptized, but we realize we have much to learn.  We will hide until it is safe.  Then we will begin again."
  The women looked at each other.  "Livia, do not take this the wrong way, but we need to step outside for a minute and process everything you have told us," explained Martha.
  Martha and Mary stepped outside to talk.
  "Mama are Mary and Martha upset with us?" Remus asked.
  "Remus, I don't know.  There are so many things I don't know."
  "Well,  I'm very happy we are going to follow Jesus.  He's happy about it, too!" revealed Remus.
  "And how do you know that?" asked Livia.
  "I had a dream about it.  At least I think it was a dream.  I was laying out in the field when I heard His voice.  I didn't even know I was sleeping, but I heard Him say, 'Remus I want you to follow My ways.'  I told Jesus, 'Yes, I will!'  It felt really good to tell Him that. It made me very happy!"
  Livia smiled at Remus and hugged him tight.  "Well if you made that promise to Jesus, then I think you should do everything you can to keep it."  
  Livia went back to packing some belongings when she heard Remus shout, "Mamma I think they left.  I don't see them anymore."
  Livia was sad that Martha and Mary had left.  She had hoped they would have understood.  Livia realized that things might be more difficult then she had originally thought.  Still she really wanted to follow Jesus. She was ready to endure whatever it would take, because like Remus, she had felt Jesus calling her as well.  She, too, had told Jesus, "Yes!"

(to be continued...)

-Susan