Monday, July 29, 2019

The Tunic (Part 15)

(The Tunic is a fictional story based on the Passion of Jesus. The story began on post March 18, 2019.)


  Livia rushed to prepare dinner for Cato.  She was very behind.  With any luck he would come home a little later today, and then she would not have to explain anything. When things were getting close, Livia asked, "Remus why don't you go outside and watch for Papa.  Maybe you could show him some of the trails you have been enjoying."
  "Yes, I want to show him my new favorite one! I hope he comes soon."  It wasn't long before Livia could hear Remus shouting.  "He's here!  He's here!" Livia watched as Remus pulled on Cato's hand to follow him.  Livia knew Cato would not be able to refuse him.  She smiled.  Everything would be ready by the time they returned.
  However, Cato did not look too pleased when they returned.  Livia wondered what was wrong.  Livia knew it was best not to question his mood, so she quickly served super avoiding his stare.
  "So, Remus tells me you had visitors today," began Cato.
  Livia quickly looked at Remus trying to determine what exactly he told Cato.  "....yes . . . two neighboring woman stopped by. . . . .They brought us some fresh bread."  Livia glanced up to read Cato's face. He was definitely staring harshly at her.
  "And?" question Cato.
  "And, I'm afraid Remus ate it all.  He was quite hungry."
  "It was very good, Papa!"
  "And what did you talk about?" inquired Cato.
  Livia could tell by the tone in his voice he was not happy.  "Oh, you know, just woman talk.  I thanked them for the bread, they told me about their family.  The two woman are sisters and live with their brother not too far from here."
  "Mama, I told Papa how their brother was dead but then Jesus told him to come out of the tomb!  Tell Papa that story. I really liked listening to that one.  They had lots of good stories about Jesus, but that one was my favorite!"
  "Yes, Livia, please tell me that one.  Please tell me how you talked to complete strangers about Jesus!  I moved you here to be safe!  Did you just jeopardize everything?!"  Cato's face was red and his voice harsh.  "I'm going to great extremes to keep my family safe, and you are willing to risk everything?  Did you tell them who I was?  Did you tell them what I did?!"
  Livia hated when Cato was upset like this.  She knew she had done nothing wrong, but she did not want to provoke him any further.  She just stared at her food and remained silent.
  Cato pounded the table.  "Well, Livia?  Will you not answer my questions?"
  Livia kept her eyes lowered.  Her voice quivered as she answered.  "Cato, I did not talk about you."
  Cato stared at Livia.  "What did you say, then?"
  "I stated only that we had recently moved here from Jerusalem."
  "Did you tell them why?"
  "Of course not."
  "Did you tell them about the tunic?"
  "No."
  "Why would they just come over and start talking about Jesus?"
  "Cato, the woman know Jesus very well.  They have heard him preach.  He has stayed at their house.  He brought their brother back ...." Livia thought twice before she finished her sentence.
  Cato stood up and yelled, "Jesus brought the man back from..... what?"
  Livia quietly let the words escape from her lips.  "Jesus brought Lazarus back from death."  Livia kept her eyes focused on her plate as she heard Cato storm out of the house.
  "Mama why is Papa so mad?  The woman were very nice.  I liked them."
  Livia did her best to blink back her tears as she softly answered Remus, "I liked them, too."

(To be continued...)

-Susan