Monday, August 6, 2018

Reading the Signs



  This past week, I was driving across the state when I saw a billboard that read, "Real Christians love their enemies."  I spent some time thinking about that as I drove.  I asked myself, "Am I a real Christian?  Do I really love my enemies?"   I mean, it's easy for me to ignore my "enemies". Usually I can even tolerate my "enemies".  I have prayed for my "enemies".  And, as painful as it has been, I have even forgiven "enemies". But love them--isn't that just asking too much?  Jesus didn't seem to think so.
  Being a Christian is not easy.  Jesus calls and challenges each of us "to be perfect as our Heavenly Father is perfect".  Is that even possible?  No, not if we try to do it on our own.  This is why prayer is so important.  With the grace of God, the impossible becomes possible.  With the grace of God, hate can be transformed into love.  With the grace of God, mere creatures can learn to love as God loves.  Perhaps Jesus can ask so much of us, because He knows how generous the Father is with each of us. I think the real question is not whether or not it is possible, but rather do I trust God enough to allow His grace to transform me? 
  I'm sure the next road sign I saw will not surprise anyone. It said, "Caution.  Area under construction."  It looks like the path I am on needs some work.

-Susan