Sunday, April 14, 2019

The Tunic (part 5)

(The Tunic is a fictional story based on the Passion of Jesus. The story began on post March 18, 2019.)



  It was late evening by the time Cato returned home.  It had been a long, exhausting day and he was looking forward to dinner with his family.  His wife, Livia, greeted him with a smile.  "I have dinner ready if you are hungry."
  "I'm starving," replied Cato. "How was Remus today?"
  "The same.  He tries to hide the pain.  Walking is very difficult for him.  He just sits and looks out the window.  He fell asleep just before you got home.  Should I wake him?" asked Livia.
  "No, let him sleep. No sense waking him up and having him be in pain." Cato's thoughts turned to the past.  If only that day never would have happened.  He blamed himself for not being there when their house caught on fire. At least Livia had woken up in time to pull Remus from the flames.  His legs were badly burned.  They were a source of constant pain for Remus.  They never healed right even though Cato had implored the help of every god and doctor in Rome.  No one could heal him. His eyes looked at the terrible scars on his wife's arms.  They took away from her natural beauty, but she never complained about her own pain.
  When dinner was finished Cato announced, "I had a bit of good fortune today. He walked over to his bag and pulled out Jesus' tunic."
  Livia scowled.  "What is so fortunate about a bloody piece of material?"
  "I won it today.  It belonged to one of the crucified prisoners.  Look its seamless. If you get the stains out, I can get some good money for this."
  Livia took a closer look.  "I feel bad for this man.  That's a lot of blood."
  "The poor man didn't even do anything wrong.  He just claimed to be the son of some god. It must have been the god of the Jews because they were in an absolute uproar over it.  They were all going crazy about it. Pilate couldn't take it anymore and just let him be crucified.  Anyways, his bad fortune will be our gain.  Could you wash this tomorrow?
 I think I know where I can sell it."
  "I will do my best," replied Livia.  "I'll see if my luck is as good as yours.  Perhaps we could consult another doctor for Remus with the money?"
  "Yes.  I was thinking the same thing, too."

(to be continued...)

-Susan