Sunday, September 20, 2026

Keep Focused

 

  I have been blessed to travel a little in my lifetime. Letting my eyes drink in so many of God's beautiful creations inspires me to praise Him for His many gifts and reminds me of my littleness in this big world. Sunday Mass is always essential. Catholic churches come in many sizes and architectural styles. The Mass, however, is universally the same. Wherever I am, I know that during the Mass, I am at home. I love the Mass! What saddens me, though, are the distractions I sometimes encounter before the Mass.

  I am grateful for parishes with active ministries serving the community's needs. It is wonderful, but I would prefer to give these programs my full attention after Mass. I am also happy that those in the pews have close relationships with one another, but let's celebrate those friendships after Mass. Like many of you, I have a busy life. I long to spend sacred moments with the Lord away from earthly distractions. I want to stay focused on praising God, but I am weak, and my senses can be easily distracted.  I need your help to stay focused.

  The Mass is the highest form of prayer.  The Mass is a sacred time when we join our prayers with Jesus to praise and worship God the Father. Participating in the holy Mass is the most important part of our lives.  The Mass is not meant to be casual or entertaining. It is sacred time spent praising God's goodness. I am embarrassed to admit that I can let distracting thoughts interfere with the sacredness of the moment.

  I realize I need help.  Personally, I need to prepare for Mass.  I need to prepare my heart to hear God's words and receive Jesus in the Eucharist.  I need to be open to the gentle guidance of my guardian angel, who leads me to worship as in heaven.  I need to unite myself with Mary so that I may imitate her disposition and receive all the graces the Lord has prepared for me. Preparing for Mass is important to me. When I walk through the church doors and enter the sanctuary, I want to focus on the Lord. 

  I realize some of you prayer warriors don't let anything distract you. I truly admire that. But it's possible that, like me, others are being distracted as well. Help me stay focused on the sacrifice of the Mass until the final blessing and dismissal. Then we can go out together to serve the Lord, the community, and one another.

-Susan

0 yorum: