"The Flight into Egypt" is only three verses in Matthew's Gospel, but I have to admit, I am fascinated by this story. Trust and obedience are central themes. Joseph receives the message from the angel that Herod plans to destroy Jesus. Joseph trusts that this message is from God and immediately wakes Mary. Mary trusts Joseph's message, and together they depart for Egypt at once. I wonder whether I would have enough trust to do the same. This got me thinking...
Imagine an angel informed you tonight that God was being hunted down, and that it was up to you to keep the Word of God safe. You are warned to get up immediately and begin traveling to another country. You are not told your final destination, only the initial direction. You are instructed to bring a Bible and 3 other faith-filled books you own. Beyond the Bible, what other books would help you maintain your faith and share it with others? Would you trust that God could send you a message in a dream? Would you recognize an angel speaking to you? Would you be willing to leave your home and all your plans if God asked you to? Are you prepared to defend the Word of God, no matter the cost?
Take some time with these questions. Talk them over with God. I imagine it would be an interesting conversation.
-Susan

0 yorum:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.